|Think Aloud Strategy Summary|
|Think Aloud Strategies|
• The act of reading is invisible, unconscious. Think Alouds make the unseen seen, the unconscious conscious.
• During a Think Aloud, we unpack our thinking as we read by talking out loud about the reading process and our thinking as we engage as a reader.
• Think Alouds expose to the struggling reader the strategies able readers use of which struggling readers are unaware.
• With Think Alouds, we model our thoughts, share the schema, and the strategies one employs while reading.
Strategies to Demonstrate
• Making connections and using prior knowledge
• Questioning while reading and searching for answers
• Visualizing what is read
• Monitoring comprehension and understanding throughout the reading process
• Summarizing and synthesizing
• Interpreting and making inferences
• Evaluating - I like/don’t like this because…
• Think Alouds should be planned in advance.
• Comments should be concise, not long-winded.
• You may want to physically change position for the Think Aloud comments and return to original position as the reading continues.
• Focus on one or two strategies in a Think Aloud.
• Don’t break from the text too often – it is important to maintain the flow of the text.